Labourer – 3 Positions
Public Works – Waste Management
Contract Part-Time, Duration: 6 Months
CUPE LOCAL 966- Public Works Under general supervision, performs a variety of manual duties and operates miscellaneous equipment in performing various Public Works functions
- Directs activities and customers to ensure vehicles and materials are dumped in an orderly and safe manner at Community Recycling Centres, Tranfer Stations and/or Compost Facilities
- Maintains cleanliness and appearance of site and buildings
- Loads and unloads supplies and equipment from trucks
- Maintains and cleans heavy equipment
- Provides prompt and efficient customer service
- Performs winter maintenance including snow clearing and landscaping duties as required
- Maintains a neat appearance and performs duties in a way that conveys a “positive image” of the Region of Peel
- Minimum Grade 12 education or equivalent with six (6) months job related experience
- Able to operate and maintain a variety of manual and power equipment
- Able to read, write, speak and understand English
- Capable of accurately completing required forms and reports
- Possess a Class “G” license in good standing
- A valid “DZ” license in good standing would be considered an asset
- Job testing may be required
- Mechanical apptitude with willingness to work outside, hands on in all types of weather conditions and within compost facility
Please note preference will be given to current members of the bargaining unit
Location: 395 Chrysler Dr, Brampton, ON. We have put measures in place to protect the health, safety and wellness of our employees.
Hours of Work:
Position (1) – Thurs-Fri: 9:30AM-5PM; Sat-Sun: 8:30AM-5PM Position (2)– Mon: 9:30AM-5PM; Fri – 9:30AM-5PM; Sat-Sun – 8:30AM-5PM Position (3) – Mon: 9:30AM-5PM; Fri – 9:30AM-5PM; Sat-Sun – 8:30AM-5PM
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced Covid-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
New employees who commence employment on or after October 1, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated is determined as the status of having received the full series of approved vaccines (both doses of a two dose vaccine series, one dose of a single dose vaccine series) and any additional doses required and approved by Health Canada and having satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The Region of Peel reserves the right to request proof of vaccination at any time. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.
The Region of Peel serves more than 1.4 million residents and approximately 173,000 businesses in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga. We deliver a wide range of resident focused services across the Region.
Our 20-year vision for Peel is “Community for Life.” Our goal is to create a place where everyone enjoys a sense of belonging and has access to the services and opportunities needed to thrive in each stage of their lives. Our 2015-2035 Strategic Plan outlines the work we’re focused on to bring this vision to life.
To learn more about the Region of Peel, explore peelregion.ca. Additional Information:
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone’s contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Please be advised, the Region of Peel uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.